How to clear your browser history and cache.
Every now and again we get clients that can’t see recent changes we have made or logins don’t work, this happens all the time on websites and is due to your browser keeping a copy of the site so it can serve it quicker to you next time you visit, although this is good for page speed it doesn’t really help when some code is changed as it may take the browser some time to adjust to the new changes.
Clearing your cache and browser history can fix this and it’s one of the first things you should try.
I’m going to run through the major browsers and how to clear it.
- Click the 3 little dots on the right-hand side at the top.
- More tools > Clear browser data
Internet Explorer 10
- Gear Icon > Tools > Safety > Delete browsing history
- Check both Temporary Internet Files and Cookies
- Click Delete
- Click the menu button, choose History, and then Clear Recent History….
- Set Time range to clear to Everything.
- Click on the arrow next to Details to expand the list of history items.
- Select Cookies and make sure that other items you want to keep are not selected.
- Click “Clear now” to clear the cookies and close the Clear Recent History window.
To clear on Safari, it’s easy…
Click “Safari” in the tool bar and come down to “Clear History”
And that’s it, really simple to do and can solve a heap of problems, if you simply want to see instant changes made by your developer or you prefer not to store cookies you can turn these off or go incognito.